Saturday, November 3, 2007

Infants are exhausting...

I never realized how challenging a colicky baby could be! Priya is now at the peak of her colicky time (at least according to everything I've read) and is having great difficulty during the night hours. She barely sleeps, fights feeding times, and cries constantly! Needless to say things have been rather rough lately. I keep trying to focus on the positive and to remember that "this too shall pass". I'm also trying to be open to what the Lord wants to teach me through this trying time. But it's definitely easier said than done. Sleep deprivation can definitely do a number on you...

I've been trying to read anything I can get my hands on to help me find some tools to get through this time - and to help minimize the trauma for poor little Priya. I've found some helpful tips from THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK and am now gleaning great insights from SECRETS OF THE BABY WHISPERER. I also took my boss' advice and invested in an exercise ball. I swaddled Priya and then held her as I bounced on the ball last night. It was amazing how it lulled her to sleep. If only she would stay asleep for more than 5 minutes at a time though...

I have to say though how grateful I am for two specific things right now:

1) My parents have graciously allowed us to use their Redding home anytime we need to escape. Ashish, Priya and I came over last night and are really enjoying the escape. And...

2) Ashish's parents are here from India and while we are staying at my parents' home (where they are currently residing), they are graciously giving me time to sleep by taking care of Priya during the night hours. They stayed up most of the night with her and let me get a whopping 10 hours of sleep!!! We'll be staying here for a few more days and will be soaking up the help!

If you think of us, we'd really appreciate your prayers right now - for wisdom, rest, and peace for all of us! Thanks! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess & Ashish, she's SO beautiful!! And believe me, I KNOW what it's like having a baby that's fussy all the time! For what it's worth, the 2 things I really wish I would have tried with Sammy are 1)chiropractic, and 2)probiotics. I have heard stories of babies who go for 1 chiropractic treatment (it's a very soft touch, not like adult chiropractic at all!) and are better. Hang in there! I'm sure she'll start getting better any day now!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jessica - that sounds very challenging! Have you checked out the website that Holly has created called fussybaby.ca? She's also dealt with what you have, and is a wealth of good information! My friend also went through this with her little boy, and I know you can barely see to the next day sometimes! Keep your chin up, girl! I'm now 17 weeks along, and hoping that mine is a bit easier than you describe :).

Heidi

Anonymous said...

Oh Jess, I feel for you! The need for sleep is huge but thank the Lord that He provided a way for Ashish's parents to be there for you both. Marcus is 7 months old and for the most part he sleeps through the night. Mind you that seems to be due to the fact that big sis is asleep also. I tell you, she's going to give him Trumatic Stress Disorder b/c she just LOVES to touch his ears or feet while he sleeps. He fights sleep as a result b/c he has to see what's going on. ARG!

Not sure if you tried Gripewater. It seems like an old wives tale but it worked for my kids. Or a warm bath and then massage with lavender baby oil (That only worked with Marcus).

Hang in there

rachel joy said...

Oh ... so much advice to give and receive. You'll get through this! You really will, all of you. I didn't have an experience like you and Holly but I can imagine the fatigue and frustration. My best advice would be to talk to Holly and check out her website! She's done so much research and worked so hard to get some real answers. I've also heard about the chiropractic idea. And I'm thrilled that you're a-bloggin' now too. It will be so neat to share in your journey with you. My blog is invite only, so send me an email at rjoyz (at) shaw (dot) ca and I'll add you to my list!