Saturday, January 9, 2010

Earthquake!

We had an earthquake here today at about 4:30pm! It took a while to realize what was going on as I've never felt an actual earthquake before. I heard what sounded like a garbage truck moving dumpsters outside our apartment (but no garbage truck) but was surprised by the swaying and rattling that we felt/heard inside as well. Priya and I were over in the space next to her room in our apartment when it happened. We felt the swaying for about 5 seconds and then it seemed to stop and start up again for another 5 seconds or so. It scared Priya and the result was a pretty clingy and fussy girl for the rest of the day! Ashish was visiting his parents in their place here on campus and they felt it strongly as well. It brought back a moment of fear as they recalled a horrific earthquake that they had experienced a number of years back in India.

Apparently today's quake was a 6.5 and originated on the coast of Northern California near Eureka. Crazy! It's just not something we're used to experiencing here.

Here's a link with more info: http://www.redding.com/news/2010/jan/09/earthquake-felt-redding/

1 comment:

tanya said...

Hey Jessica, It's so great to be able to see what's happening with you and your family on your blog. I just have to get better at posting comments, now that I have my own blog I realize I'm on pins & needles waiting for someone to comment. And I'm sooooo excited when someone does. (Thank-you for your comment yesterday, I was so excited I called Adam at work) Anyways, WOW, an earthquake! Is that your first earthquake since living in California? I've only felt a small one and boy was that freaky.