Friday, February 12, 2010

Priya's Big Girl Bed!

The day has finally come for Priya's crib to be converted into a big girl bed! She is almost 2 1/2 years old and has shown signs that she is ready for the transition. She has been escaping from her crib and also climbing back in quite frequently. Both activities have been cause for alarm and concern (she usually lands on her head when she crawls/falls into her crib and I've been terrified that she'd end up breaking her neck or something), so now that we have a long weekend in sight (President's Day is on Monday and I have the day off) I figured we would have a consistent stretch to help Priya make the adjustment to a bed that allows for greater freedom and independence.

Quite honestly I expected a battle tonight, but I'm happy to say that she only made one escape! She isn't keen on sleeping under blankets or using pillows. We have tried multiple times but she throws a fit when any blanket touches her body and usually throws pillows out of her bed. We started with her under the covers and her head on the pillow, but it was very clear that she wasn't going to stay that way. So I decided to keep with one transition for now. At least she kept the pillow in her bed...

Here's another fun picture that I've been wanting to share for a while. I came home from work a couple of weeks ago to a cute site - Priya living it up in her baby swing (she barely used it as a baby but LOVES it as a toddler - go figure!). She was snuggling with "Drewey", her beloved monkey blanket, was sipping on milk and snacking on some almonds and Cheerios. She was also doing something that she rarely does during the day - sucking her thumb. It's common practice to find her with her thumb in her mouth while she's sleeping. But it's really not something that she does much during the day...

4 comments:

Pam said...

Priya, you're a funny girl climbing in your swing. I don't think my kids would have even fit at that age. Glad that you are a big girl with your bed now. Always a fun transition. Hope it continues to go well :)

Cynthia said...

It pays to be petite!

Emily said...

Yeah for Priya!!! So glad the first night went well! I love that she is sitting in her swing, she's so cute in there! I bet it feels really good to her. :)

Ashlee said...

those pictures are adorable. Isaiah gets in his swing whenever we are out in the garage. Its funny to see. I am not wanting ISaiah out of his crib yet. I have a feeling it will be a nightmare. He hates going to sleep. I am keeping him in as long as I can.